Friday, March 18, 2011

Round-Up: Favourites from the First 50

I posted my 50th lunchbox today! It has been harder than I thought to post a new lunchbox literally every single day. I am pretty sure I missed a handful. But I am meeting my goal of diversifying my stock of go-to meals and I am learning to cook a little better. So I am glad for that!

My blog is also 100% vegetarian now, which has been exciting. I was always vegetarian at home but was not strict about it when eating food other people prepare. I have been doing a lot of reading on that lately and have made the decision that a vegetarian life is better for my health and for the planet, so I have cut out all the meat and dairy for good.

Here is an all-vegetarian round-up of my favourite lunches from the first 50. We'll see what the next 50 lunches will bring!
  • Lentil Soup. This is a winter staple for me. I use either Amy's or Primo brand. Both are simple, with few ingredients. I always have a can of this soup lying around.
  • Chickpea Stew. This is one of the school lunches; as a teacher, I can get them subsidized and sometimes buy one to bring home for dinner!
  • Indian Wrap: A bad picture, but a great lunch. This is one of a handful of prepared treats I occasionally buy at the local health food store.
  • Baked Beans: Another fabulous school lunch. I would love to learn how to make a rich and flavourful tomato sauce like this at home! I would put it on everything.
  • Soy Cheese & Crackers: I packed this for a snack one day and found it surprisingly filling. I sometimes eat this as a breakfast now, when I am tired of oatmeal.
  • Beans & Rice: So simple, yet so tasty. Packing the sauce on the side and mixing it in just before serving gave this dish just the right texture and moistness. A lunchbox staple now.
  • Veggie Burger: I rarely do sandwiches because I am sensitive to wheat; but I had a craving, and I finally found a veggie burger brand that worked for me. So I indulged!
  • Pasta & Peas: Another fast and simple, yet satisfying little meal. And it's flexible, too. I made it since with half peas, half edamame and it was delicious.
  • Veggie Pot Pie: Amy's veggie pot pie is my favourite junk food comfort food. It is low enough in Weight Watchers points that I can work it into my plan when I want to.
  • Health Food Store Treats: veggie gyoza and a brownie, what could be wrong with that? :) Not the most filling meal ever, but a tasty lunch on a cold day.
  • Pizza Bake: one of the best tips I ever learned for those who limit wheat: put the toppings on potato instead! This is much more filling (and lower-calorie!) than a typical pizza to me.
  • BBQ Tofu: I cooked! And I attempted to display the results artfully! This meal used the oven, which is a step up for me over my past heat-and-serve meals. Making progress!
  • Breakfast for Lunchbox: I eat this oatmeal almost every day for breakfast. On a sleeping-in weekend, it made a fine brunch, bulked up with some fruit and other goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment